To Protect & Skull-Fuck

Attorney James Egan explains why he released his clients' now-notorious arrest footage to the press.

The attorney who earlier this month released a profanity-laced video of three Seattle police officers acting like animals says he did it to make the public realize that the Seattle Police Department is out of control and needs to be reined in.

“I want people to know that there’s a lack of transparency and secrecy that exists within the department,” says James Egan. “I don’t care about the profanity. I’m not shocked by that. The problem is that this was not dealt with in a responsible way.”

Egan, of course, is referring to the now-infamous confrontation that took place March 11, 2010, when two young Hispanic men from Yakima were pulled over for speeding in Capitol Hill.

The dash-cam video that Egan finally obtained from the SPD in November, after five months of haggling while he waited for his public disclosure request to be honored, shows officers slamming his client, Miguel Oregon, onto a patrol car and proceeding to unleash a torrent of verbal abuse.

One of the cops, Officer Corey Williams, vowed to “skull-fuck” him if he didn’t cooperate. “The badge is the only thing preventing me from skull-fucking you and dragging you down the street,” said Williams, who later told internal investigators that the charming expression was something he “picked up in boot camp.”

On it went: “Don’t suck my dick here, alright?” And, “This is not Yakima anymore, homeboy, this is the big city.” All of this in the name of “de-escalating” the situation, as the officers claimed they were doing.

When Oregon did not immediately heed an officer’s command to get out of the car, he was yanked out of the vehicle, his arm twisted and pushed toward the hood of the car. More de-escalation, one assumes.

Says Egan: “I think the injury to Miguel and Hugo [Perez, the passenger] is dwarfed by the damage to the public trust.”

Egan insists that the SPD did everything possible to avoid turning over the video. “At one point, I was told that it would be a violation of my client’s right to privacy, which is complete bullshit.”

Adds Egan: “This is not about me. It’s not about Miguel and it’s not about Hugo. I just want people to see the video and make their own determination.”

Egan, who says he’s representing Oregon and Perez pro bono, has made no decision on whether he plans any future legal action.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@seattleweekly.com.

More in News & Comment

State Sen. Jesse Salomon
Shoreline senator’s bill would close loophole on police disciplinary actions

Jesse Salomon says Kent Police assistant chief case example of why changes are needed

File photo
County auditor finds agencies fall short on emergency services

The auditor’s office recommends clarifying responsibilities and accountability for effective planning.

File photo.
COVID testing centers shut down for lack of business license

Center for Covid Control announced Jan. 13 it would close all of its locations for a week.

During a news conference Thursday, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee explains the deployment of the National Guard to hospitals to assist with the coronavirus surge. (TVW) 20220113
Surgeries paused, National Guard deployed to assist hospitals

King County health officials say 1 in 7 ICU and acute-care hospital beds are occupied by a COVID patient.

Credit: Pixabay
Prosecutor alleges Seattle man recorded Muckleshoot Casino employee using toilet

The Auburn Police Department reports that a Seattle man used his cell… Continue reading

Screenshot from City of Kent Facebook Page
Trash piles up in King County neighborhoods after agency postpones service for weeks

Collection company initially cited weather as the reason, but now a strike interferes.

Screenshot from King County Council meeting
King County Council approves new leadership, committee structure and assignments

The leadership positions and committee assignments will last through 2022.

Surveillance photos of the 28-year-old Seattle man who has been arrested and charged with 12 counts of first-degree robbery. (Photos taken from charging documents)
Seattle man arrested after allegedly committing a dozen King County robberies

The 28-year-old is believed to have conducted robberies in Seattle, Bellevue and Federal Way.

Most Read