A Beloved Barista Moves On, While a Highly Anticipated Bakery Moves In

Plus, a menacing umbrella.

1. With streamers, balloons and a line wrapping around the front of the building, a new location of 85°C Bakery and Cafe opened its doors on Jan. 12, bringing the popular international bakery and coffee chain to Federal Way.

It was nothing less than what general manager Terence Adamse expected.

“This is a normal grand opening for us,” he said.

Since its first store was launched in 2004 in Taiwan, 85°C, which specializes in bread, cakes, and pastries, as well as coffee and other beverages, has developed a fan following all over the United States, including in Western Washington. News of the store’s grand opening spread by word of mouth in Federal Way months before the store opened.

Adamse said the Federal Way location is 85°C Bakery Cafe’s third in Washington, with the other two in Tukwila and Lynnwood. The company wanted to expand further south in King County while still staying relatively close to the Seattle area, and Federal Way was ideal.

“We thought Federal Way was just a good central location for us,” Adamse said. “We actually want to have this become our flagship store in Washington state.”

Currently, there are 43 85°C Bakery Cafes in the United States and 1,020 globally. The company intends to open more stores in Western Washington soon, Adamse said. Federal Way Mirror

2. Jackie Johnston is Auburn barista royalty, a friendly personality who has occupied the popular espresso stand at East Main and M streets for decades.

For nearly 27 years, she has greeted her many early-bird, on-the-go customers with a warm smile and kind words as she served up fresh coffee and food. Working long hours, at least six days a week, often seven, she enjoyed every moment of it.

Looking for a new opportunity, Johnston has decided to lighten her workload and move on. Last Saturday was her last day at Pony Espresso, a stand that will close down with her departure.

Johnston, who turns 58 on Wednesday, will work fewer hours as a barista at the Federal Aviation Administration’s new regional headquarters in the Des Moines Creek Business Park. A couple plans to open a new coffeehouse at her familiar spot come February, Johnston said.

“It’s been a great ride … so many memories, so much coffee talk,” said Johnston, who has lived in Auburn since 1985. “I’m closing this chapter and moving on to another chapter. … It’s been great serving the city of Auburn. Lots of friends and family, overwhelming support as you can see.”

Johnston began her coffee shop business in 1991 across the street at the now-gone Red Apple Market, where she pushed her cart in and out of the store every day for three years. She then found something more permanent at the corner, and soon more and more customers found her.

Business has been good, her association with her many, loyal customers, great. Customers are her family.

“I’ve had great employees. It’s just been a great success story,” said Johnston, between photo ops, hugs, and tears at her farewell. “I’ve met so many neat people. … This is the hardest thing I’ll ever do.” Auburn Reporter

3. EvergreenHealth in Kirkland gave the all clear after a lockdown due to reports of a suspicious person with a rifle last Wednesday morning. The man later identified himself and revealed that what was mistaken as a rifle was only his umbrella.

“We took all the necessary steps to exercise absolute caution to keep our patients, visitors, staff and community safe,” EvergreenHealth tweeted. “We greatly appreciate the support of everyone to help ensure our campus was safe.”

A doctor observed the man enter the hospital with what seemed to be a rifle slung around his shoulder. The doctor notified hospital security who then called 911.

Officers arrived on the scene and worked with hospital security to search for the suspicious man. The man, who turned out to be a hospital employee, saw his own picture on social media after EvergreenHealth released security footage.

The employee then contacted police and officers confirmed that the suspected rifle was simply an ornate umbrella with a sword hilt handle.

“While our officers continually train and are well prepared to respond and intervene in active shooter incidents, we are truly grateful that this was not indeed a rifle,” said Police Chief Cherie Harris in a press release.

EvergreenHealth returned to usual operations later that day. Kirkland Reporter

4. A Vashon Island woman was admitted to Harborview Medical Center in critical condition early Sunday morning following a Coast Guard rescue near Burien’s Seahurst Park. Her male companion, reported to be from Burien, did not survive.

A press release from the Coast Guard states that they were notified by King County dispatch at close to 3 a.m. regarding two people in a paddleboat who were struggling because of bad weather. Coast Guard personnel were able to establish cell phone contact with the couple before hearing sounds of distress and losing the connection.

A helicopter crew from Port Angeles and a rescue boat crew from Seattle responded. At nearly 5 a.m., they located the 15-foot capsized paddleboat and the female, who was not responsive. They rescued her and transported her to the Fauntleroy ferry dock, where emergency medical crews were waiting; she was then taken to Harborview.

A short time later, a helicopter crew recovered the male from the water and transported him to Boeing Field, where he was pronounced dead.

The woman was still in critical condition on Monday, according to Sgt. Cindi West, a spokesperson for King County Sheriff’s Office, which is investigating the incident.No other information was available at time of publication. Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber