The Art Institute's culinary students were far too busy attending to Valentine's Day guests to bother with Top Chef this week: "They are booked solid at the restaurant for three nights straight," spokesperson Devra Pransky reports. But a few of those Portfolio guests have been the beneficiaries of the students' previous Top Chef work: A salmon with sourdough dish inspired by last week's episode has surfaced on this week's menus.
"The salmon recipe has been proven to be a positive sale in the restaurant," Pransky says. "And the crepe dish from a few weeks ago is selling like wildfire."
The recipe for the popular quinoa-and-spinach crepe, developed for Voracious in conjunction with Sheldon's Restaurant Wars win, is here. But if you don't feel like cooking, Pransky promises both the crepe and salmon will be available at Portfolio this week and next.
Salmon with Sourdough
6 oz. Wild Coho Salmon Fillet
1. Oil and season fish.
White Bean Ragu
Mirepoix, cut brunoise
Salt and pepper
1. Cut onions, carrots and celery brunioise
2. Sweat mirepoix
3. Add beans
4. Cook until tender
5. Finish with saffron threads
6. Season to taste with salt, pepper and fresh herbs
Northwest sourdough bread
Oil/butter 50/50 blend
1. Melt oil, butter and garlic in saute pan
2. Toss rafts of sourdough in garlic butter mixture
3. Toast in oven until golden
1. Spoon white bean ragu into center of entree bowl.