Please indulge us while as we take a detour from the standard Grillaxin format and give in to our slavish shoe fetish this week, playing a little guessing game we're calling "Whose Shoes?"
Photo by Leslie Kelly Yes, she's been painting her house.
Here's the deal: Any cook is going to work better if their feet aren't killing them. Ask a chef to name his favorite tool, and he's likely to call out a beloved knife, or she might say she cannot live without her Sharpie, but the essential ingredient every member of a kitchen crew cannot live without is some decent footware.
Kicking off Round 1 of "Whose Shoes?": She went to Seattle Central's Culinary program, worked at Matt's in the Market back when it was the teeny space and she's recently left her post at Harvest Vine to reunite with Matt Janke at his new place. Oh, and she loves a good burger. Can you name the chef?
Thanks to chef Lauri for sharing this recipe!
SWEET PEA FLAN
2 C. mint leaves
2 C. chopped spinach, washed well
3 pounds green peas, fresh or frozen
3 C. cream
1 T. +1 t. lemon juice
8 oz. Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Blanch spinach, mint, and peas for 1 minute and shock in ice water.
2. Drain and chiffonade the leafy greens.
3. Puree greens and peas in Cuisinart until smooth.
4. Pass the mixture through a food mill into large bowl.
5. Mix in eggs, cream, lemon juice, cheese, salt and pepper.
6. Spray ramekins down and bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.