Chef Jason is all about spending as much time as possible in the kitchen.
Florida native Jason Franey, chef at Canlis, is a big fan of Washington fruit. Using one of his favorite ingredients, he takes gazpacho in a whole new direction with this tart cherry version. For more, read part one and part two of this week's Grillaxin Q&A.
Washington Cherry Gazpacho
2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups Washington cherries, pitted
1 1/3 cups dried sour cherries
1 cup dry bread or fried croutons
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Dice bread into cubes and toss in ¼ cup olive oil. Brown the cubed bread in a pan on medium heat.
2. Toss all ingredients in a bowl, cover, and marinate overnight, reserving a few croutons for the garnish.
3. Blend all ingredients in blender on medium until smooth.
4. Strain through a sieve and chill in the refrigerator.
5. When ready to serve, place in bowls and garnish with a crack of black pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, a crouton, and a strip of prosciutto.