Because we've got some serious karaoke aficionados on staff here, we've written a lot of words about Tarasco. It's been referred to as a "lone Mexican restaurant on a quiet street in Ballard that even most Ballardites aren't familiar with," where the "target audience appears to be single adults who are fond of canned Tecate," and as a haven for serious karaoke performers, located "in a nice, tucked-away location that has a cool stage, state of the art [karaoke-ing] equipment, and a fun young crowd."
Well, unfortunately, this tucked-away joint on its quiet, unmemorable street in Ballard suddenly became a whole lot easier to find this morning. All you had to do was follow the plumes of smoke, because apparently it caught fire early Wednesday.
According to The Seattle Times, the owner of Tarasco (who lives above the place), smelled smoke about 1:30 in the morning and immediately called the fire department. The fire was apparently electrical, and started in some of the wiring.
The good news is that no one was hurt and not too much damage was done--the entire thing was put out in just a couple minutes. The bad news? Any fire damage in a bar or restaurant has a tendency to get pricey quick. In this case, the estimate is coming in around $20,000.
Right now, no one's answering the phone. But here's hoping that the place gets up and running again quick. I know that the karaoke crowd will be getting anxious if the Tarasco stays dark for too long.