Used bandages, animal parts, hypodermic needles, condoms. There are some things (okay, quite a lot) that we don't ever want to think about biting into.

"/>

Top 7 Gross Things Found in Food

Used bandages, animal parts, hypodermic needles, condoms. There are some things (okay, quite a lot) that we don't ever want to think about biting into. But, a few unlucky eaters have literally bitten off more than they could chew -- or imagine. Fortunately, none of them resulted in serious injury or death. A lifetime of nightmares? Probably. In no particular order, here are some of the grossest things that have been found in food (that could be found online). We picked our Top 7 favorites.

grossCHICKENHEAD.jpg
Chicken fried mistake.
7. Chicken head

On the night of November 27, 2000, Katherine Ortega from Newport News, VA found a fried chicken head in a box of McDonald's chicken wings. Ortega said she called McDonald's after finding the head and was told she could return the chicken for a refund or another box. But she declined (for obvious reasons). Ortega did contact a lawyer, but we're not sure if she ever filed any charges. We do know that she plans to cook at home from now on.

grossCONDOM.jpg
This little guy's a fan of the clam, too.
6. Condom

It was supposed to be another night out on the town for Laila Sultan when she dined at McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant in Irvine, CA on February 26, 2002. She says the nightmare started when she sent back her bowl of lukewarm clam chowder to be reheated. When it returned, she found a rubbery substance in the chowder which she initially thought was calamari. But upon closer inspection, it was a condom. After spending the next 15 minutes in the restroom throwing up, she sued the restaurant claiming negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The suit was later settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

grossFROG.jpg
Tim Hoffman
5. Frog

What's most disturbing about this find is that the frog was whole. It was literally smiling back at Marty Hoffman on the morning of October 13, 2010, when she opened a bag of frozen veggies in her kitchen in Grand Ledge, MI. Her husband, Tim, contacted authorities and the grocery chain where they bought their store-brand vegetables apologized to the Hoffmans and issued a recall of the frozen mixed veggies in question.

grossPEPSI.jpg
A case of animal in stinks.
4. Decomposing amphibian

A Florida couple got a surprise when they popped open a cold can of Pepsi cola in July, 2009. Fred Denegri mentioned to his wife, Amy, that something didn't taste quite right. He also mentioned a 'rotting' smell. Had the soda gone flat? Nope. Had it expired? Nope. Was there a dead animal inside? Yes! As they emptied the can onto a plate, Amy said something pink and spaghetti-like poured out. The couple said they thought it was a mouse, but the FDA later determined it to be either a frog or toad. Pepsi said it found no evidence that any foreign object or substance entered the package at the time of production. As for the Denegris, they still drink Pepsi, but they pour it into a cup first.

grossKNIFE.jpg
Cold cuts.
3. 7-inch serrated knife

John Agnesini of New York syas he had already eaten some of his Cold Cut Trio Subway sandwich in June, 2008, before finding a 7-inch blade baked into the foot-long bun. A doctor told him he had the symptoms of food poisoning, which Agnesini attributed to whatever contaminants may have seeped into his food, possibly from the melted plastic handle of the knife. He also said the knife was "filthy." So much for eating fresh. Agnesini is currently seeking $1 million from Subway.

grossNAILS.jpg
Shorten initially wanted to wait until her honeymoon to get nailed.
2. Three one-inch nails

Since we're talking about hardware, a bride-to-be got something 'new' when she found three nails in her store-bought mac and cheese. If there is a bright side to this story, it's that she only swallowed one of them. Twenty-one year old Rebecca Shorten from the U.K. swallowed the piece of metal while eating her dinner in August, 2008. The macaroni and cheese product was recalled and Rebecca never filed charges. We think she could have hammered out a nice settlement for herself.

grossFINGER.jpg
Pull my...nevermind.
1. Finger

Any human body part not attached to an actual body is never good. Especially in the case of poor Clarence Stowers of Wilmington, N.C., who found a severed finger in his pint of frozen custard in May, 2005. The finger apparently came from an employee of Kohl's Frozen Custard shop who lost his digit in a food-processing machine accident. The last we heard, Stowers was keeping the right index fingertip in his freezer while he consulted with attorneys. If you don't plan on eating frozen custard for a while, go ahead and check out the disturbing finger photo. We think it looks like a hot dog.

 
comments powered by Disqus

Friends to Follow