Lil B, the famously eccentric Bay Area-rapper whose "based" philosophy started a cultural movement of sorts, gave a talk yesterday at New York University. Online chatter built to a fever pitch as the day approached, with Lil B tweeting various NYU-related hype and even releasing a mixtape in the buildup, and our own Eric Grandy weighing in on Twitter that "the @LILBTHEBASEDGOD lecture probably the first time in years NYU students will have got their parents' money's worth."
For those in attendance, it sounds like the speech was everything one could hope for. But for those of us who missed out, read on for the wildest quotes from the lecture, courtesy of Pitchfork's Carrie Battan, who reported that the rapper took the stage wearing "a neon green t-shirt with a matching neck scarf and sporting a bindi."10. "I'm the first rapper to adopt a tabby cat. I adopted it straight from the ASPCA, you feel me?"
9. "When I was younger, I didn't even know how to walk. I was so self-conscious."
8. "Every single person you meet, look at them like a golden million dollar baby."
7. "I was having these big ant problems in my house. As I was studying these ant colonies. It's like man, they have their own communities too. I'm there with them."
6. "I'm out here trying to get my Mitt Romney on."
5. "You guys are the first to hear it: I'm actually releasing my rock album. This is gonna be some garage punk. This one's for the rebels. Look out for the Lil B rock record, California Boy."
4. "Let's stop fracking. Who knows about hydraulic fracking? I'm like whodie, get that oil out the ocean!"
3. "Real talk, you guys are about to freak out because I got a song with one of the biggest artists on Earth coming."
2. At one point, Lil B laid on a table and imitated himself going to sleep, whispering, "Honesty, integrity, friendship, passion..."
1. "Until further notice, I'm paying taxes and I'm loving it."
What musician would you like to see give a lecture? Add your vote in the comments!