As opposed to our favorite songs, or songs we'd like to think define our listening habits, taking a look at what a person actually listens to can be far more revealing. With that in mind, every so often we'll ask an artist to take a look at the most-played songs in their iTunes libraries and share with us the results. We do this on the honor system, and we ask our subjects to share a few words about each song.
The Summer Twins, a Riverside, California duo of sisters Chelsea and Justine Brown, rock a dreampopping '60s sound full of bright harmonies as light and breezy as their Southern California home, shimmering tunes perfect for dreaming away the lingering, gloomy winter days here in the Pacific Northwest. The girly group's iTunes library is just as beachy, and here, drummer Justine shares a few songs that make her happy--with the word "beach" in three of them, they might just do the same for you. Drive away your S.A.D. blues at the Funhouse this Friday (3/2) with The Summer Twins, Peter Case & Paul Collins, and Bang Sha Bang.
1. "Holy Dances," Beach House: I love this song because there are so many transformations in it. I like the surprise in the middle where it changes tempo. Listening to it, I imagine laying in a rowboat in a river at night watching stars and fireflies.
2. "By Your Side," Beachwood Sparks: This is such a comforting song to me. Maybe because I've heard it so many times?
3. "Good Vibrations," Beach Boys: I know it's probably their biggest hit, but this is one of my favorites! Everything about this song is perfect. The organ in the beginning is amazing. Chelsea and I got really into Smiley Smile.
4. "Flying On The Ground Is Wrong," Buffalo Springfield: This is one of my favorite songs of all time! Makes me feel nostalgic and dreamy. I never get tired of it.
5. "Summerhead," Cocteau Twins: Listening to this song when I was younger, I would imagine myself gallivanting through fields hand in hand with my lover, hidden from the rest of the world. Not exactly, but something like that!
6. "Birthday," The Sugarcubes: This is my all time favorite! It's a bummer that I can't sing along to it very well. When I listen to it, I get this amazing feeling like I'm surrounded by snow or rain. I'm hoping that I'll travel to Iceland one day!!!