Here at Reverb, we spend a lot of time reading and thinking about band names. So naturally, seeing the news of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.'s first-ever vinyl release (Record Store Day's coming up, yo!) got us thinking about other acts with names inspired by celebrities. But since there are a ton of those, this list is specifically Celebrity Band Names: Wordplay Edition. Sorry, Abe Vigoda. It's also too bad that Natalie Portman's Shaved Head changed their name, but in honor of Dale Earnhardt, here are seven more bands aiming to hitch a ride on the coattails of the stars.
Named for: Dale Earnhardt, Jr., NASCAR's most popular driver from 2003-2010.
2. Dananananaykroyd, Scottish "fight pop" (their term) sextet whose forthcoming album is provisionally titled I Honestly Can't Believe You Got That Much Ham Into a Solitary Sandwich and Still Went to See Metallica. What? That's what it's called.
Named for: Dan Aykroyd, Canadian actor who starred in Ghostbusters and The Blues Brothers. Also apparently really into wine and UFOs?
3. Gina Kolata. Can't find any current evidence of this one besides a bunch of articles from 2002 stating they were/are from Brooklyn. But bonus points for having a proper name that's also a pun, AND being early adopters.
Named for: Gina Kolata, New York Times science writer who generously said of her namesakes: "They keep inviting me to hear them, but I never go. I live too far away in New Jersey . . . I don't know . . . it all sounds the same to me."
4. Dandy Warhols. Oh wait, guess these guys are probably one of the progenitors. Do you really need me to tell you who the Dandy Warhols are?
Named for: Andy Warhol. Do you really need me to tell you who Andy Warhol is?
5. Ringo Deathstarr. Austin-based shoegazers whose debut album Colour Trip is reminiscent of the Jesus and Mary Chain, and, coincidentally, drops today.
Named for: Ringo Starr. The worst member of the Beatles. Not playing Capitol Hill Block Party.
6. Dro Carey. Electronic/remix dude from Australia who may or may not be in high school.
Named for: Drew Carey, the lovable (gag) host of The Price Is Right and The Drew Carey Show. Cue that awful/great theme song.
Named for: Sonny Bono: Cher's ex-husband; ½ of Sonny and Cher; California congressman; father of Chaz; died after hitting a tree while skiing.
Honorable Mention: Soloing Over Alanis Morissette. Probably the best of the bunch, but their name isn't a play on words. Rather, it's an exact description of their sound. No really. Check it out.
Did I miss any? Add them in the comments!