Just a heads-up...this post his has nothing to do with music. Last year, my friend Jamie did the 52 book challenge. Basically, he forced himself to read one book per week, which seemed like a lot of work to me. I consider myself a pretty heavy reader and having to complete a book in seven days seemed ridiculous. But at the beginning of last year, I challenged myself to it as well and kept track of each book (so nerdy, I know!) Yesterday, I took a count and it turned out I read over 52. Since Michael Goldberg spurred a Top 10 Records listing yesterday, I thought I'd list my Top 10 Books Read in 2006. None of them were released this year, but they were new to me. So...
1. Hellfire by Nick Tosches
2. The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen
3. Pan by Knut Hamsun
4. The Gay Talese Reader by Gay Talese
5. Joe Gould's Secret by Joseph Mitchell
6. Call of the Wild by Jack London (first time reading it as an adult, at least)
7. Oh the Glory of it All by Sean Wilsey
8. Edisto by Padgett Powell
9. Falling in Place by Ann Beattie
10. Collected Stories of John Cheever
How about y'all? Anybody else read anything good this year? Or did you do the 52 book challenge? I'm curious...