Your Daily Dose of Food + Drink News, Events and Must-Read Miscellany
1. Prepare for total hop domination. CHS reports that World of Beer will occupy 2,600-square-feet in the Terravita building on E. Pine St. in Capitol Hill by November. Expect 50 rotating drafts and more than 500 beers for sale by the bottle. The Florida-based chain opened its first Washington location in Renton earlier this year.
2. Scone alert: The Washington State Fair in Puyallup opens with free admission this Friday from 9:00 am to noon. It’s the 113th year of the annual September event, featuring all manner of fair food. New food vendors for 2013 include “Famous Ezell’s Chicken” and Steel Creek American Whiskey Co. You can search the full list of eateries (searchable by categories including “low carb”) here.
3. Renee Erickson’s Barnacle is inching closer to opening day. The new Ballard Ave. wine bar and restaurant is adjacent to The Walrus and the Carpenter.
4. Cafe Presse is hosting a fundraiser for local kids food and cooking non-profit Green Plate Special. The Tuesday, September 24 event gets going at 6:30 pm and costs $75; reserve a spot by calling 206-709-7674.
5. Serious Eats posted some nice pics of craft cocktails from the just-opened Westward. Take a look.