Your Daily Dose of Food News, Events and Must-Read Miscellany
1. Capitol Hill cookie spot Hello Robin is open for business. Robin Wehl Martin’s bakery (complete with a seasonal Molly Moon’s Ice Cream counter) launched at the new 19th & Mercer building on 19th Ave E. Stop in for coffee and classic cookie flavors alongside less usual combos like sweet onion and pecan. Hours (for now) are 1:00 to 8:00 p.m. seven days a week.
2. Downtown wine bar Le Caviste opened just before the holiday, took a mini break, and is now open, per Facebook, “again (and ever-after)” at 1919 7th Ave. Hours for the bistrot-à-vin spot from Le Gourmand alum David Butler are Tuesday through Saturday from 4:00 pm to midnight.
3. Pike Brewing Co. hosts its annual Old Bawdy Barley Wine Vertical Tasting on Friday, January 10. The 6:00 to 9:00 pm event includes seven vintages reaching back to 2007 from the brewery’s archives. Click here for tickets.
4. Tavolata’s first Sunday Feast of 2013 is centered on Wagyu beef. The four course, $90 meal featuring beef tartare, strozzapreti with beef cheeks and Kobe Culotte steak will be served on January 5th starting at 6:00 pm. Call 206-838-8008 to reserve a space at the table.
5. Our food and drink editor Nicole Sprinkle rounds up the top 27 Seattle food moments of 2013. She also shares 15 culinary pet peeves: salt on sweets, “girlie-branded alcohol” and small plates? Enough already.