Your Daily Dose of Food + Drink News, Events and Must-Read Miscellany
1. Just in time for the rainy season: The Depressed Cake Shop is selling grey-on-the-outside, bright-on-the-inside baked goods to raise awareness for mental health issues at a pop-up tomorrow in Capitol Hill. The bake sale starts at 10 am inside the Sole Repair Shop at 1001 E. Pike St. Check Facebook for some pastry pics, like these champagne-flavored storm clouds. The “cakes for a cause” campaign originated in the UK.
2. Copperworks Distilling Company opens tomorrow on the waterfront at 1250 Alaskan Way. The new retail space and distillery produces small-batch spirits, including all-malt vodka and London Dry-style gin.
3. CHS reports on the soon-to-shutter Uncle Elizabeth’s Cafe and Electric Tea Garden, and the uncertain future of the (at least temporarily) closed Comet Tavern.
4. ABC’s The Chew co-host Michael Symon will prepare a multi-course dinner at this year’s Saint Martin’s University scholarship fundraiser on November 2. Click here for ticket info. Tickets start at $400, and those “low-end” prices are limited.
5. It’s National Taco Day, so Taco Time NW is handing out free crisp beef tacos at each of its 74 locations.