Your Daily Dose of Food News, Events and Must-Read Miscellany
1. Dick’s celebrates six decades on Capitol Hill this Sunday by hosting a free, big ol’ block party. The Broadway burger joint is installing a beer garden that features $5 pours from area breweries like Hilliard’s and Elysian. Live music is scheduled throughout the day from local bands, including Don’t Talk to the Cops and Motopony. The party lasts from noon to 10:00 pm.
2. It’s Bourbon Heritage Month, which is as good an excuse as any to order a cocktail made with the brown liquor from your favorite bar. Best bets include the Showgirl (Buffalo Trace Bourbon, amaro, rhubarb bitters) at Radiator Whiskey or the Autumn Sweater (bourbon, amaro, allspice dram, candied blood orange, cherry brandy and cherry bitters) at Essex.
3. The Wall Street Journal reported on an updated IRS tax rule that could mean the end of restaurants automatically adding on gratuity for large parties.
4. Purple’s downtown Seattle location hosts Rosé on the Roof at 6:00 pm tomorrow. Tapas (including Spanish Jamón Ibérico) and pours of rosé from Washington State and beyond will be served. Tickets are $45 plus gratuity, call 206-838-3853 to reserve a spot.
5. Seattle’s Piranha Shop is hosting a free “Cheeses of France” Pop-Up Event Saturday, September 7th from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Besides tasting cheese, local chefs and caterers will do cooking demos and wine and hors-d’oeuvres will be served. The Piranha shop is at 1022 1st Ave.