Your Daily Dose of Food News, Events and Must-Read Miscellany
1. Capitol Hill’s Artusi is celebrating its third anniversary this weekend. Friday through Sunday, patrons can choose from among “an array of revelry options including a 6-course menu that includes dishes from all three years.” Diners who purchase a cocktail will have a chance to receive a golden coaster, winning one of three gift cards for use at Artusi or Spinasse.
2. Tickets for Yakima’s Fresh Hop Ale Festival are on sale now. The October 4 event has been named one of the top ten beer festivals in the country. Over 30 breweries will serve fresh hop beers, and wine and food are available too.
3. Summer strawberries are officially in season, and Coyle’s Bakeshop is taking advantage of the bounty. The Saturday pop-up will be offering strawberry-centered treats like Strawberry Victoria Sponge Cake, Fresh Strawberry Tarts, Cocoa Nib and Strawberry Macarons, and Strawberry Kumquat Jam. You can also pre-order an eight-inch version of the Fresh Strawberry Tarts throughout June for pick-up on any Saturday in June; email email@example.com to reserve. The pop-up is held at Book Larder from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
4. Miyabi 45th will be home to Ramen Night on June 8. Rather than its usual soba, Miyabi 45th will serve new ramen dishes concocted by chef Mutsuko Soma in two styles: a Soma Ramen with shoyu broth and a Jiro-style Chyashu ramen. Reservations are not required to get in on the ramen.
5. Fast food chains are moving to simplify their menus, taking out bizarre ingredients that don’t naturally occur in food – and don’t belong there, period. NBC News has the details.