intestinal tract.jpg
People are convinced Tacoma is a dangerous place. As Seattle Weekly 's resident Tacoman, I hear about it all the time. Usually, however, it's guns

"/>

Metal Bristle Raises BBQ Threat Level to Orange, Nearly Kills Tacoma Man According to KING 5

intestinal tract.jpg
People are convinced Tacoma is a dangerous place. As Seattle Weekly's resident Tacoman, I hear about it all the time. Usually, however, it's guns and gangs people are scared of ... not barbecues. But as a recent story from KING 5 proves, grilling in T-Town (or anywhere) carries its own risks.

As KING 5's Chris Daniels reports, 31-year-old Adam Wojtanowicz ended up in the hospital last weekend, the result of a recent barbecue gone wrong at his Tacoma home.

The culprit: a wayward metal bristle from a barbecue brush.

According to KING 5's story, initially Wojtanowicz was prescribed antibiotics for the pain in his stomach. But when that didn't work, doctors at Tacoma General Hospital performed a CAT scan, which revealed the piece of metal lodged in Wojtanowicz's intestinal tract. Dr. Steve Norton subsequently performed emergency surgery and was able to remove the dangerous carry-on.

Amazingly, this kind of thing happens with a small amount of regularity.

From the KING 5 story:

The CDC says it knows of at least six people who have recently suffered similar injuries from brush bristles. It does not blame a particular brand or type of brush.

"This is a huge public safety issue," says Norton, who says if untreated, the bristle could lead to internal intestinal leakage resulting in death.

Just one more thing to think about when grilling this summer ... in Tacoma, or anywhere else.

Follow The Daily Weekly on Facebook & Twitter.

 
comments powered by Disqus