Electrical fire at My Cahn restaurant earlier this week.
Stealing electricity to grow weed is no laughing matter. Just ask Seattle area firefighters, who seem to have been dealing with it a lot lately.
The Seattle Police Department says electricity theft was responsible for a fire in South Seattle yesterday in the 11400 block of 69th Place South. Firefighters apparently responded to the blaze only to discover" illegal wiring had been installed to bypass the home's electricity meter to support a marijuana growing operation in the basement," according to police. Overheated wires that burned surrounding insulation are believed to be at the root of the fire.
Two responding firefighters reportedly received minor electrical shocks while battling the blaze, with both treated at the scene by medics.
After Seattle City Light turned off the power and police were called in to investigate a total of 298 pot plants were removed from the home.
Apparently sick and tired of it, Seattle City Light and the fire department got together to produce a public service announcement warning of the dangers associated with stealing or diverting electricity.