As was mentioned on Daily Weekly, yesterday Mike McGinn went on KUOW to say the reforms demanded by the U.S. Justice Department as a result of the federal agency's determination that the Seattle Police Department has shown a pattern of using excessive force would come at a hefty price tag - $41 million according to the mayor. However, that staggering number was quickly disputed by the DOJ and at least one member of the City Council.
It didn't take long for McGinn's $41 million figure to be questioned.
Executive Assistant U.S. attorney Thomas Bates issued a statement quoted in the Times story, saying:
"The budget numbers being projected by the City are simply wrong. The cost of any agreement will not be remotely close to the figure cited today. We are confident that once the City understands our proposed agreement, it will conclude that what we cannot afford is further delay."
Tim Burgess of the Seattle City Council also questioned the figure.
From the Times:
City Council members were briefed on the potential budget impacts Monday in a closed executive session.
After the briefing, Councilmember Tim Burgess cautioned that the $41 million estimate had not been vetted by the council or the city budget office.
"Some of these numbers are scare numbers," said Burgess, the former chairman of the council's public-safety committee.
He said the immediate focus should not be on the cost but on the question, "What should we do to have sustainable and meaningful reform of policing in Seattle?"
With a response to the consent decree proposed by the DOJ in March due from the City sometime this week, chances are this is only a small part of the public and private wrangling taking place.
Previously on Daily Weekly: Mayor McGinn and Police Chief John Diaz Announce 20 Proposed SPD Reforms
Previously on Daily Weekly: U.S. Department of Justice Reportedly Wants a 'Shadow Chief' to Help Fix SPD