The Army says "sensitive" military hardware has been stolen from Joint Base Lewis-McChord where 100 soldiers remained on lockdown as an investigation ensues to recover what is believed to be hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment -- including night-vision goggles, laser sights and rifle scopes.
The equipment was reported missing last Wednesday during a routine inventory. Since then, soldiers of the 4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division have not been allowed to leave their barracks or the dining hall without an escort.
The Army is offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the return of the stolen hardware.
I Corps spokesman Maj. Chris Ophardt stressed that the Army does not consider the equipment to be a danger to the public.
"You have to have other stuff to make it dangerous, and you have to know how to use it," Ophardt told the Seattle Times on Sunday night. "It's not something the average Joe can attach to their gun and become an instant Rambo."
The 4th Brigade has gone to Iraq twice and is one of the base's three Stryker combat brigades.
Kevin Baker, meawhile, a former 4th Brigade solider, on Sunday started circulating a petition that claims there has been "collective punishment for officer' incompetence."
Baker believes unit leaders were negligent and that enlisted personnel should not be punished.