Harding Family.jpg
Image Source
The Harding family women wept during a press conference Monday.
Ondrell and Kenneth Harding have many things in common. They are brothers, for


Ondrell Harding Arrested for Murder in Seattle; Brother of Kenneth Harding Killed in San Francisco

Harding Family.jpg
Image Source
The Harding family women wept during a press conference Monday.
Ondrell and Kenneth Harding have many things in common. They are brothers, for one thing. They share extended family in the Bay Area, for another. And they were both allegedly involved in senseless murders in Seattle. But one is dead, the other is alive.

Kenneth, 19, was shot to death last week after being chased by San Francisco Police. Ondrell, 21, was arrested Tuesday night by Seattle police.

Ondrell Harding--who also goes by the nicknames Baby D and Doc--had been living in the home of 51-year-old Anthony Matthews for the past two months, according to a probable-cause statement provided to King County Prosecutors by Seattle Police.

Police responded to a 911 call at 3 a.m. on the morning of Saturday, July 23, and found Matthews dead on the floor. According to SPD, both Matthews' wife and son said that Harding beat the life out of Matthews and fled into the night with two other individuals. Harding has not yet been charged, and is being held in lieu of $500,000 bail in the King County Jail.

Ondrell Harding.jpg
Image Source
Ondrell Harding.
Matthews' wife--identified in the court documents as 49-year-old Renee Enochs--told SPD homicide detectives that Harding "had been dealing drugs the entire time" he was in the apartment, and that people were constantly "coming and going at all hours" from his room. Enochs also said that she saw Harding flash a silver automatic pistol at least three times, including one instance where he put the gun to a man's head during a drug deal.

The probable cause statement lists "prior assaults, narcotic offenses, escape" for Harding's criminal history. According to Washington court records, and a report yesterday by The Seattle Times, in June 2008 Harding threatened a store clerk with a knife after the man refused to sell him beer.

Enochs told to police that Harding had been drinking heavily on Friday, July 22, before the murder. She said that she and Matthews decided they'd had enough of Harding and wanted him to leave. But when her husband confronted Harding and tried to send him packing, the situation quickly escalated into a violent--and deadly--confrontation.

Enochs reportedly "observed Harding suddenly 'charge' her husband from behind, grabbing him around the neck." Harding allegedly wrestled Matthews to the ground and choked him. Harding's two friends looked on indifferently, Enochs said, as she pleaded for help and tried to pull Harding off of Matthews. She recounted being able to separate the brawling men, but when Matthews got to his feet, both Enochs and her young son told police that Harding threw a chair at him, knocking him back to the ground.

At that point, both mother and son told police that they watched Harding "pummel the unconscious Matthews repeatedly with closed fists about the face and head." Again, Enochs frantically tried to break up the fight. She told police that Harding eventually relented, saying, "Alright, I'll leave, I'll leave." Harding, she claims, walked away from the motionless body for a moment, then returned and kicked Matthews in the leg, "calling him either 'a fucking punk' or a 'fucking bitch.'" Matthews never regained consciousness.

King County prosecutors have until Friday to charge Harding.

Earlier this week, San Francisco Police told reporters that Seattle Police had issued an "all-points bulletin" to be on the lookout for the Harding. Had Harding fled to the Bay Area, he would have followed in the footsteps of his younger brother Kenneth.

Kenny Harding.jpg
Image Source
Kenneth Harding.
Kenneth Harding was sought by Seattle Police in connection with the murder of 19-year-old Tanaya Gilbert on July 13. Gilbert, seven weeks' pregnant at the time of her death, was hit by a stray bullet in a south Seattle shootout that wounded three others.

Harding, on parole in Washington after serving a 22-month prison sentence for pimping a 14-year-old girl, turned up at a metro station in San Francisco's Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood on the afternoon of Saturday, July 16. Two uniformed police officers tried to check to see whether Harding paid his bus fare.

Police claim that Harding bolted, pulled out a handgun, and fired wildly at them during the chase. At least 10 shots were fired, and Harding was eventually hit in the neck. He died on the sidewalk in front of an angry mob.

The gun Harding allegedly wielded during the chase has not been located, but forensics testing showed that Harding had gunshot residue on his hands when he died. Police claim that a bystander made off with the weapon, and that Harding accidentally shot himself in the neck. Authorities in San Francisco are investigating the killing.

Adante Pointer, a San Francisco attorney representing Harding's mother and uncle, told Seattle Weekly earlier this week that the Harding family "has the right to know how their loved one met his tragic death."

"We're trying to determine if this is a lawful or unlawful homicide," Pointer said. "If you take the facts on balance of how they've been presented, you can't make heads or tails of it. Some witnesses say the young man didn't have a gun, did not fire at police officers, and he was running away."

Ondrell Harding Probable Cause

Follow The Daily Weekly on Facebook and Twitter.

comments powered by Disqus

Friends to Follow