We know you've been breathless with anticipation, waiting anxiously to find out just who are Seattle's superstars of the web. Well, you nominated them, our judges reviewed them, and now it's time to announce the winners of the 2011 Seattle Web Awards.
• Top Chef contestant and restaurateur Robin Leventhal (food)
• local hip-hop sensation Spac3man (music)
• Elise Woodward, host of KJR's Elise at Night (sports)
• Michelle Esteban, KOMO-TV news reporter (news)
• Seattle Weekly web editor Zibby Wilder
An additional six "Readers' Choice" category winners (Seattle's Favorite Online Time Waster, Seattle's Most Shameless Self-Promoter, Seattle's Sexiest Geek, Seattle's Favorite Meme, Most Useful Mobile App, Wild Card) were chosen by you, the readers. Because we like to keep things exciting, the Readers' Choice winners will be announced live at a star-studded, invite-only Seattle Web Awards gala on June 16. Sorry, hopefuls, you'll have to contain yourselves just a little bit longer!
So, with no further ado, the winners of the Seattle Web Awards are:
- Best website: TheOatmeal.com
Fun cartoons are easy on the eyes and comforting for the soul. The Oatmeal web site can suck you in for hours on end.
- Best use of Facebook: SeattleArtMuseum
Chock full of info about the museum, special events, artists and lots of fun contests for free tickets and more.
- Best Twitter feed: @Sonicsgate
The Sonics have been absent from Seattle for years but the Sonicsgate movie folks aren't going to let anyone forget them. Always an entertaining feed for basketball fans.
- Best mobile app: SIFfter
Cool iPhone app that allows users to review, preview and buy tickets to SIFF films.
- Best website: EatHomeGrown.com
A well-designed site that makes you want to eat a Homegrown sandwich. Now.
- Best use of Facebook: WhereYaAtMatt
Friendly wall posts, shout outs to other businesses, and conversations with customers make everyone want to find out where the heck Matt's at.
- Best Twitter feed: @SaltySeattle
Sassy, sexy, saucy, this feed is always good for a laugh - and some great ideas.
- Best mobile app: Urban Spoon
Indecisive stomach? Shake your phone and this app chooses a restaurant for you. Not what you had in mind? Shake until you're satisfied.
- Best website: kexp.org
Playlists, podcasts, events listings, and more. THE web site for music lovers.
- Best use of Facebook: kexp.fm
Frequent posts keep you music savvy with info on bands, ticket information and give-aways.
- Best Twitter feed: @TheCrocodile
Never be bored in Seattle with this constant stream of great goings on at the Crocodile.
- Best mobile app: Brown Paper Tickets
Turn your iphone into a scanner to check in and out of events - cool app for event producers!
- Best website: WestSeattleBlog.com
WSB pretty much wrote the book on blogging locally, and are truly devoted to their community. A good guide for others.
- Best use of Facebook: KING5news
Great amount of content, good variety and the bonus of video.
- Best Twitter feed: @SeaCrime
It is what it is and it's good. It chooses one topic and does it well, often breaking crime news on Twitter.
- Best mobile app: One Bus Away
A clever and easy to use app. We also love the student connection, user involvement and promoting public transit
- Best website: Scarleteen.com
un fonts and colors make sex education a little less intimidating. "Busy boards" provide a forum for discussions on topics that can be hard to talk about.
- Best use of Facebook: PAWSWashington (*This category was kindly judged by sexy Wexlian, Cal McAllister, as our judge for this category may have had a *very slight* bias here.)
A true online community for animal lovers - fun place to watch the interactions between staff and supporters.
- Best Twitter feed: @Scarleteen
Supportive, empowering tweets and constant stream of news articles relating to teenage sexuality.
- Best mobile app: One Bus Away
A lifesaver for folks who rely on public transit to get around town.
- Best website: RatCityRollerGirls.com
Bold colors, a fierce logo and eye-catching pictures make you want to get out and support these gutsy ladies. And maybe strap on a pair of skates too.
- Best use of Facebook: Sonicsgate
With religious views listed as "Sonicsologist" and relationship status "it's complicated", the undying devotion to the team is unquestionable.
- Best Twitter feed: @Seahawks
Great updates and inside news for football fans.
- Best mobile app: Sounders FC app
Hear live audio of matches, read bios, see live written game day commentary, answer poll questions, make calls with digital red and yellow cards, and that's just the beginning...
Congratulations to you all! We look forward to meeting, and celebrating, you at the Seattle Web Awards fete on June 16--mark your calendars. If you are the person responsible for any of the above, please send me your e-mail address so we can get your party invite out to you.
Thanks to our readers and everyone who took part in the process! We're lucky to have such a talented, diverse, and entertaining online community in Seattle--and we're looking forward to celebrating you all.