While there is possibly nothing more irritating than year-end listicles, there has been some notable news on the sex front and, like so many things, it's far easier to digest when broken down into bite-sized chunks. . .
• Obviously the top news is on the AIDS front--first the Truvada study showed that the readily available drug "cut down the risk of new infections in healthy gay men by 44 percent--and more than 90 percent in those who took the pills faithfully every day."
• Then there was the gentleman in Berlin who seemingly has been cured of HIV/AIDS. So far doctors haven't been able to replicate his cure, but this looks extremely promising.
• I'm old enough to recall a time when the only vaginal upkeep a girl had to worry about was a yearly pap smear and a stank-check around period time. Now there's an entire industry built around "beautifying" the vulva. Lips too long or too short, have 'em snipped or enhanced. While you're at it, rip that hair out by its roots and slap some rhinestones on in its place. And now finally, you can drop even more coin on your twat by treating your ladyparts to a special steambath.
• Not really news, but if you've ever wondered if a career in prostitution was for you, this piece will probably help you stop wondering. Warning: it may also cause you to lose your lunch.
• The Presidential pecs (and nips) are off-limits now. Photographically, speaking.
• Mel Gibson and Charlie Sheen and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi have all proven themselves to be undateable, though that will probably not stop a certain type of golddigger from finding them irresistible.
• The first brothel for women is set to open in New Zealand!
• Don't Ask/Don't Tell is repealed. However, you still have to be straight to get married in most states.
• The next time someone calls you a slut, you can just remind them it's genetic and they should STFU.
• Apparently sperm can cause inflammation, which in turn can lead to ovarian cancer, so a just-published study says just about any kind of birth control helps reduce your risk of developing this deadly cancer. Yikes!
• Speaking of birth control, teen pregnancies are down by six-percent (yay!) and some people (like me) are partially attributing this drop to the MTV shows, "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom." I swear, if those shows had been on when I was a teenager, I'd probably still be a virgin.
• If you want to do more than kiss someone at midnight, get thee to Babeland's semi-annual sale where their bestselling toys are all marked down by 25%. Yes, ladies, including the multi-tongued Sqweel and chubby pink Bubbles vibe.
And finally, as this year draws to a close, so too does the Daily Dategirl blog. I know. It sucks, but dry your eyes and rest assured that you can still read my column every week, stalk me on Twitter, and/or even become my Facebook friend.